Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My 2 cents on OpenOffice.org 2.0


OpenOffice.org (OOo) is quite nice. The suite now looks professional. I must admit, version 0.x had some growing to do especially in the area of smooth fonts. The interface looked kinda grainy. I hear that you can download Microsoft fonts and use them. One good thing about Microsoft fonts is that they are quite usable. I like Trebuchet MS. It's easy on the eyes and very printable.

 Use OpenOffice.org

There are very many reasons why you should use OOo. For one, it's absolutely free. Absolutely, free! Where would you get a professional piece of software like that for nothing? Microsoft?

There's very little you can't do with OpenOffice.org. In fact, I can't think of anything you can't do which doesn't mean much since I'm not a power user. I can do some pretty fancy desktop publishing when called upon to. I can create some great looking presentations in Presentation. But I'm sure like most users, I'm not looking to stretch my desktop applications looking for the most insignificant esoteric things that they can do. I don't see much point in my word processor being able to perform spreadsheet calculations, though I'm happy that the tables in Writer are intelligent.

I'd actually be quite happy with just Writer, Calc and Impress. It's good to see the vector drawing application (since I like to draw), database and math.

It's a great suite. You should download it, install it and use it. However, if you've got lots of cash and feel that you cannot possibly tear yourself away from that other office suite (the one that shall remain nameless), feel free and spend your money.

No comments: