Monday, February 05, 2024

Supernote Writing

I have a Supernote A6X2 tablet. It's the best thing, and we're slowly getting to know one another. It's only a few days (well almost a week) old, and already it has a few dirty patches on the cover (which was white and clean when I bought it) but that's OK. We're friends.

I'd read that this tablet had the best writing experience of all the E Ink tablets out there. And in fact, I'd originally bought a BOOX Note Air3 C, which I returned for reasons given in another post. But this one's a keeper since I've discovered the secret of getting quality handwriting, handwriting that looks pretty close to my handwriting on real paper.

Here's a sample - written in the evening, when I was tired, which is the best time since it does really show how my writing looks like when I'm not even trying.

Supernote My Notebook



The faintness of the left image is the pen that I chose, but pressure also works.

So, while the feel isn't exactly like paper, and there are very few tablets that can simulate paper, there are a couple of things you can do to make the experience better - even on an iPad.

  1. Get a good pen, or change the nib. If the screen is glass, get a soft rubber tip for the stylus.
  2. If the screen is glass, consider a screen protector.
  3. Apply some pressure when you're writing. Unlike paper, the plastic, matt or glass surface isn't really being written on, there's digital magic under the screen, and so the pressure is only there to stabilize the pen in your hand.
With the Supernote, and specifically the Supernote with the FeelWrite2 screen protector from Wacom, pressure is your friend.

No comments: