Tuesday, February 06, 2024

I've cancelled my NordVPN subscription

NordVPN is among a host of VPN providers. Their VPN is considered one of the best in the industry.

The purpose of a VPN is to secure your connection to the internet. This is what keeps you safe when you're using the unfriendly internet. Say you're sitting in an Internet cafe, connected to their free (and super slow) Wi-Fi, you can fire up your VPN software, which will make sure that the Internet cafe's free Wi-Fi isn't listening (or peeking) into what you're doing.

The other thing that you can do with a VPN is hide your location. Which is good when you need to access services which are not available where you are. Some Netflix content, for example, is only available if you are in specific countries, so different countries see different content.

This can be frustrating if you're away from home and you need to get something from your home provider, whether it's Netflix or whoever.

I'm Canadian, and I have content I bought via Google which I can only see when I'm in Canada. So when I used to travel, I'd switch on my VPN (in this case NordVPN) and then see my home content.

NordVPN was affordable when I first got it, must have been that 2-year low entry fee trap. But then it quickly doubled. The first year was $89 for two years, so that's roughly $45 per year. Now it's $115 each year.

And all I use it for it login to a couple of servers (a provider who I have since ditched) and see some of my Google content.

Other than that, it's quite good for protecting me when I'm out and about using my laptop, or my iPad or my iPhone.

In fact, I've noticed in the past year, I probably only used it once or twice. So I'm really not getting value from it. When I'm out and about, I use a personal hotspot from my mobile phone provider, who is more secure than free Wi-Fi. And clearly I don't miss my Google content.

So goodby NordVPN, I'll use my $115 somewhere else.

No comments: