Tuesday, February 06, 2024

How to use your technology

I have two laptops, a Linux laptop and a Macbook Air.

I also have this iPad that I'm posting this note on.

I have a number of Raspberry Pi devices, an iPhone a separate digital player (for my purchased music as well as for streaming music) - all because I don't want to burden my iPhone with the job of doing music as well as all the other stuff it does.

And all that tech is expensive, really expensive.

And because of that, I rarely carry it around.

Take this iPad for example, before I bought it, I had ideas of major productivity. I could see me sitting at a cafe, latte next to me, small pad and paper for the ideas I didn't want to escape and writing and coding productively - or is that profusely?

None of it ever materialized. The beautifully expensive iPad with it's similarly expensive Magic Keyboard mostly stay in my home office. They get transported to my work office occasionally - but not needed, and used when I feel guilty about not using it too much. Oh, they also get used to stream my Netflix movies when I'm on my elliptical machine - a few hours a week.

Incredibly, my paper notebooks are taken everywhere, and get written on constantly.

That's a Cambridge Executive, around an A6 size, and I write using a Pelikan Inky pen. Small and light.

So, my tech is really not productivity tech, it's treated almost like you'd treat jewelry. Delicately and tentatively, lest I drop it and it breaks.

But when I bought my Supernote E Ink tablet, I decided that enough was enough, no more babying this tech. And that device goes everywhere with me.

It is white, with a white pen, and it already has scuff marks, the mark of being active and used. The technology is not new, but I've adopted it really quickly. And I'll write more about that in a later review, but for now, I'm enjoying having it to pen a thought at any time.

It' snow 2:06 AM on Wednesday (7 February 2024) as I write this, on my iPad, having one of my bouts of insomnia. I'll get to sleep soon, I have my ADV Sound 500's (tiny earbuds) playing my Top Songs of 2023 playlist from Spotify streaming from my HiBy digital player.

Eeesh!

But another thing, this iPad will be getting out more, it's gotten fat and lazy and enough of that.


No comments: