Tuesday, October 06, 2026

To Think, To Write

I was online thinking about why writing on the computer is so tiring, but writing on my notebook, on paper, with a pen, felt tip, isn't tiring. I can just keep rambling on and on without stopping.

And I've written a lot of words in my handwritten notes.

But I've also typed a lot. Much of that stuff remains in anonymity.

So I decided to find out how most authors write the stuff that they write and here are a few reasons.

Handwriting,

  • Allows them to think SLOWLY.
  • Forces them to be ACCURATE the first time around (no delete, spellcheck or backspace).
  • Keeps them moving FORWARD.
  • Rarely stop, because the mind is constantly, always AHEAD of the pen.
  • Gives them permission to PAUSE and reflect since the PEN isn't as demanding as a blinking CURSOR.
Typing,
  • Because most people say that they have horrible HANDWRITING.
  • Because writing by hand is TIRING.
  • Because they type FASTER than they can write so the words can keep up with the thinking.
  • Allows them to do some minor changes and corrections as they go along, deleting and backspacing and also re-reading.
  • PAUSE frequently to allow the fingers to rest, so they re-read frequently.
  • The editing process does not require re-writing.
I see myself in both worlds,

I handwrite because I enjoy the feel of the felt tip pen on the paper. I like the feel and look of the words on the page.

I type because I can get the words down onto the page quickly. I can move onto the final draft, like this blog post, without having to think first on paper and then redo the entire presentation on the computer.

In CONCLUSION:

My handwriting stuff will never be redone on the computer, it begins and ends its life on the paper. The purpose and intent of writing on paper is not to think, but to enjoy the writing experience. It's not to "make" anything.

My computer stuff won't ever start as a handwritten piece, to be nurtured on paper to be matured in the computer. The purpose of typing a story, or a piece of code, is to think carefully about the story and to "make" something.

No comments: