Sunday, August 08, 2021

Writing, Technology and Laziness (and Perfection)


 

It appears, that I've been quite lazy, on the writing front, in 2021. This blog has actually frozen, and looking at it today, I'm wondering what is happening?

I got a new job. That's a good excuse, since I was busy assuming a number of roles.

But it's not good enough. Part of the reason I've been successful at work, is because I've managed to keep this blog as my mental companion. And I've noticed that not-writing, is affecting my ability to move forward.

And so I wonder, why do I write?

And I've come up with this basic answer. It's not perfect, but it's as close as I'll get without belaboring the point too much.

Writing

I write to think.

Whether it's on paper, or on my tablet, or on a full-blown computer. I write because it helps me think. 

It's a discussion with me. 

And while it's OK, to sit and reflect quietly in a corner, mentally going through the things that are bombarding my mind and sorting them out. Writing does a number of things that are very important, at least to me.

It slows me down. It slows my mind down. And the rush of some things disappear to the background, while what's on my fingertips takes precedence to what's on the front of my mind. Thoughts may rush to the front, but they have to stay in line. And if they're too impatient to wait for my fingers to finish the current thought, then they get dismissed.

Many times, the thoughts are incomplete.

Many times, the thoughts don't make any sense at all.

And while it seems like procrastination, it's a way of trying to sort out the million things that I should be doing, and trying to prioritize them.


And so, I must continue to write, haphazardly and incomplete, with a semblance of coherence, as though there's some sense to be made out of all of this.

Technology

And the decision to use paper, or a computer, is of less importance - other than the fact that I'm a lot more comfortable on the computer now, than on paper. Writing on paper is admittedly tiring. After a couple of sentences, my hand is tired. But I can type for an entire afternoon.


Laziness

In a different blog, I wrote about this. I don't think I'm lazy, just that I have too many things going and none of them are actually complete. Many websites at 60% completion. Assignments, many of them, that need finishing. Reading many books at the same time. And so, after a while, not finishing anything, but doing a lot seems like you're not doing anything at all.


And in that previous blog - this month, I promised myself that I would stop and submit work that was 75% done.

That number, 75%, is quite arbitrary, since the concept of 100% is not clear.

And even as I write this, I wonder if I can make this writing better, that I should shelve this piece now, and come back to it later - knowing very well, that could be months from now.

But I will let you read it, and get from it, the experience that I have writing it.

That's all for now.



No comments: