Thursday, August 15, 2024

Motivation

MOTIVATION

I collect quotes. Words are powerful, they can and do drive you to action when you are stuck.

The general at the bottom of the hill wants his, or her, soldiers to charge up the hill. Not only are they outnumbered, but have a disadvantaged position.

This looks like a no-win situation.

We've seen the movies, the inspirational speech, the soldiers get fired up. There is purpose now. There is desire now. And there is an internal strength borne solely from words.

I may have a few inspirational books in my bookshelf, not too many. Most of them on leadership, some of them on creativity. I don't know if reading any of them has ever worked. I may have ended up exactly where I am by not reading any of those books at all.


INSPIRATION

But I think it's important to keep inspired. Inspiration fills an important part of existence, filling a gap to drive purpose.

If not solely for the purpose of finding the basic necessities of life, food and shelter, inspiration makes the activities meaningful.

To be inspired does not mean to be constantly in awe, on edge. But to have this sense that what you are doing is in sync with your being and feels great. Inspiration makes you feel satisfied. Full and complete. It makes you want to do and act, not to sit and sleep. And mostly does not wait for affirmation from others to tell you that what you are doing is right.

Sometimes, most of the time, quotes articulate the obvious in witty and intelligent ways. For example, Wayne Gretzky is quoted to have said, "You miss 90% of the shots you don't take." Quite obvious really. And why would it be motivational? That quote specifically has a challenge that has to do with the fear of failing. If you are afraid, then you don't act. When you don't act, well, it goes to say nothing happens.

So act.

The shoe company Nike has a good one too - "Just Do It."

WHAT I DO

I have a collection of quotes that I like, and I'm constantly building up my library. I have also written a small Python/Flask program to send me two of them daily. One at 6am early in the morning, and another at noon. I collected them and I know them all, but I still find it inspirational to be reminded of them.






No comments: