Monday, January 10, 2022

Quotable Quotes

Words inspire. Think of the general in front of the soldiers. They're about to face a formidable enemy who outnumber them greatly. The general knows this. The soldiers know this. But they must fight. They cannot run. And so the general inspires them with words, to prepare them mentally for the fight. That, and some whiskey, give them enough courage to fight. Because we know that your mental state contributes more than 50% to your chances of success. Anyone who has taken a driver's test will confirm this. Words not only inspire, but they give you confidence. They put a smile on your face. 

So read on, share these words, and smile.

Here are a few of my favourites. They can be found on my website https://mathenge.ca/quotes/.

HUMOUROUS

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

  • Douglas Adams

I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

  • Jerome K. Jerome

When I was in high school, I got into trouble with my girlfriend's dad. He said, "I want my daughter back by 8:15." I said "the middle of August? Cool."

  • Steven Wright

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep.

  • Woody Allen

It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

  • Steven Wright

If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank.

  • Woody Allen

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

  • Oscar Wilde

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.

  • Steven Wright

Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original and the part that is original is not good.

  • Samuel Johnson


INSPIRATIONAL

90% of life is just showing up.

  • Woody Allen

Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.

  • Maya Angelou

Remind yourself that you cannot fail at being yourself.

  • Wayne Dyer

The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have.

  • Woody Allen

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.

  • Winston Churchill

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

  • Jim Ryun

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

  • John Ruskin

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

  • Leonardo Da Vinci

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.

  • Wayne Gretzky

A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.

  • Grace Hopper

I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

  • Michael Jordan

We become what we think about.

  • Earl Nightingale

You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

  • Christopher Columbus

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

  • Aristotle

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

  • Confucius

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

  • Benjamin Franklin

Work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching.

  • Unknown Author

Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.

  • Albert Einstein


PHILOSOPHICAL

It is better to fail at your own life than to succeed at someone else's.

  • Andre Gide

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

  • Lao Tzu

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.

  • Henry Ford

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

  • Mohandas Gandhi

To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to act in accordance with your thinking.

  • Goethe

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

  • Unknown Author

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

  • Oscar Wilde

I hear; I forget. I see; I remember. I do; I understand

  • Chinese proverb

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

  • Barry LePatner

If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

  • Isaac Newton

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

  • Leo Tolstoy

You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

  • Olin Miller

No comments: