Friday, February 25, 2022

Long live Montreal

The following paragraph was written on 24 August 2014 and has been sitting in draft in this blog till today, the 26th of February 2022.


I remember the city, so different in culture. So unique. A personality all of its own.

Montreal, in hindsite I didn't really spend a lot of time there, but the time that I spent has turned out to have the most impact in my life. Independence uncontrolled, which eventually turned itself to maturity.

Returning here brings back so many memories, brings back so many feelings, of so many good times had. My friends and the places we went to. Life seemed to be happening here. So much life but so long ago.

The city itself hasn't changed. The people look much the same way that I left them. People seemed to be focussed on living, on bettering themselves.

And it's so different when the focus is on yourself. When you focus your life on yourself.


In 2014 I was working for the CAAT Pension Plan in Toronto, having moved up the ranks to Director, I wasn't writing software myself, but leading software developers. So I suspect that I was feeling somewhat lacking in purpose. I was probably visiting Montreal and feeling a sense of loss as to how productive I was at that time, doing a lot of different things. 

But looking back at that writing, I still have a sense that Montreal was a place for happy playing, but all grown ups leave to go and do serious work (I'm obviously joking here). Montreal gave me my gorgeous wife, who then gave me a gorgeous life (hey, that rhymes). 

I'll post this now, so that it leaves the limbo world of draft, and says nothing.


No comments: