Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy New Year

It's January 29th, 2013, late in the day. I definitely didn't want January to slip by without wishing everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR. I had to squeak in this post.



2012 was great. Actually, 2012 was better than great and ended on a better note with the entire family, Janet, Andrew and Kaylah, mum, dad, brother, sisters, aunts and uncles all together. It was great being home since I spend the better part of the year all alone.

I didn't write much in 2012. You can tell from the blog posts that 2012 was very thin. I don't know why. I was so, so gung-ho in 2011. 43 posts that year! Almost one a week, I mean almost.

And 2011 was the year that I did the 5000 challenge. What's the 5000 challenge you ask? Well, the idea behind the 5000 challenge is to run 5000 km in the year. Since a year has 52 weeks, should you run 100 km each week you would run 5200 km in the year. So 5000 km is a lofty goal. I didn't quite make it. I almost did and would have if I hadn't gone to Kenya for my vacation at the end of the year (making it difficult to run). I got right up to 4,960 km. One marathon distance off my mark.

But 2011 taught me a very important lesson in perseverance, in determination and most importantly in setting goals. In taking things one day at a time. In having a target, but only worrying about the individual steps. No use worrying about the 1000'th km when you're starting out. But I did get injured. That was a lot to take on and so I really slowed it down in 2012.

We're finally in 2013 and it's speeding away. I don't make resolutions, but I have goals and targets. This year, it will be to try and simmer down (in Bob Marley's words). To take small bites, smaller than the ones in 2011. I've done a few toastmasters speeches on the notion of slowing down to speed up. There's a lesson there that needs to be expanded in 2013.

I finally finished this Happy New Year post, on January 31. Squeaked it in, you might say, but got it in anyway.

Cheers everyone, see you at the finish line!

No comments: